Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Raised bed for vegetable garden

Update 7/21/14
 
I have added another raised bed to my little garden. So now I have 3 raised beds. I have one bed for tomatoes, one bed has squash, peppers, and watermelon. And the third has okra and pumpkins.

 
I love gardening but it is a work in progress. I learn something new every year. We had to put a fence around the garden last week because my dog kept eating my little watermelons. LOL!
 
This is one of the baby watermelons my dog ate!


 





 


Ya'll, this little garden is so easy to do. It's not expensive, it doesn't take a lot of space and it is super easy to maintain. I am so happy with my little garden. I hope some of you will try it and have great success with growing vegetables.




I have wanted to build a raised bed for a vegetable garden for quiet some time. Our soil is very sandy and seems to grow weeds very well, but not much else. So I finally convinced my husband that we should have a raised garden. We decided to use concrete block for the bed walls. We put landscape fabric down first.


It was recommended that we put down hardware cloth to keep the moles from digging up into the raised bed. But hardware cloth is pretty expensive, so we found a plastic garden fence that had very small holes and decided it would work just as well.


Over that we set the concrete block. We bought 20 block for the 4 x 8 bed.

We got 1 cubic yard of garden soil from the local nursery and filled the bed.

I don't know yet how many of these beds we will have this year. But once we start buying our plants and I can see how many will fit in the bed, then we will be able to decide how many more beds we might need. I will post pictures of the beds once we have the plants put in.

 Phase 1: We planted cucumbers, squash, bell pepper, okra, basil, parsley, lavender and catnip. In phase 2, we are going to add the tomato plants once they get a little bigger.

 This is my tub of sweet potato plants.

 These are my three tubs of Georgia sweet onions.

 Phase 2: We planted some of the tomatoes to fill the bed and built the fence for the cucumbers to climb.

Phase 3 will be building another bed for the rest of our tomatoes.


Phase 3
This is the second bed for the tomatoes.  It has 8 rows 4 plants wide. I think we will have plenty of tomatoes!

 This is a picture of both of our little garden beds.

We already have squash blooms.

And okra buds.


And little tiny lavender blooms
Onions

Sweet potatoes.

Sunflower bed. I will be sure to post a picture of these once they get bigger and start to bloom.

 And my 2 fig trees that I am trying to take special care of so that they don't die. I have tried to plant fig trees before and have never had any luck with keeping them alive. So I am babying these two so that maybe one day I will have some figs.
 

 UPDATE ON MY GARDEN 5/31/13 - Everything is growing and growing!


 
This is the bed with cucumbers, squash, okra, bell peppers, tomatoes and some herbs.

This bed has 32 tomato plants

Little tomatoes

This tomato is just starting to turn.



Little squash
Little bell pepper


Little okra
Sunflowers



Update:  June 30, 2013

I have been fighting bugs in my little garden. First they tried to devour the leaves from my tomato plants. In just one day, they managed to do considerable damage. I panicked and immediately bought Sevin dust. I hated using something like Sevin dust, but I was afraid my tomatoes would be damaged beyond repair if I didn't act quickly. So I dusted everything and it seemed to help for awhile.  Now something seems to be eating my okra plants. But this time I am trying to find an organic solution to the problem.

So I have been doing research on organic pest control. I have found a few good websites. This is one of them: http://www.tomatocasual.com/2008/08/04/organic-tomato-pest-control-101/
It lists a few recipes for getting rid of bugs. I am going to try the soap and oil water combination.


This website has lots of good information for organic gardening:  http://wellnessmama.com/2524/organic-gardening-natural-pest-prevention-and-control/

This website has a few other recipes for organic pest control:  http://www.ehow.com/way_5244853_homemade-organic-pesticides-tomatoes.html

Ever heard of using epsom salts for fertilizer? Someone told me about it so I had to look it up. I found this very good website. http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=68

Now some updated pictures to show the progress of the garden. First, I have many sunflower blooms and one has already opened up! YAY! This is the little cutie:
My very first sunflower
Sunflower patch
Tomatoes

Okra, bell pepper, squash

sweet potatoes
July 13, 2013
We harvested all of the tomatoes even though most of them were green. We had to pull the plants up because all the rain was making the tomatoes rot before they turned red. This is how many we picked:



 We are going to try growing pumpkins in the old tomato bed. I will post the progress.


This is one of the pumpkins I had last year. (2013)


















13 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! Thank you for the wonderful ideas and pictures of your progress. It brings forth hope for the rest of us with poor soil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate your kind words. I am new to gardening so it is a trial and error type of experiment right now. But I am enjoying it and I hope to expand next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the plastic garden fencing, where would I purchase that? I have a severe problem with critters & the poultry fencing is only 1" x 1" & the prairie dogs are so small & love to dig plus all the critters seem to get inside my walled yard. As I'm sure with everyone else we are on a very strict budget, you know how it is...hubby lost leg can't work, I'm stage 4 breast cancer but in remission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know all about being on a budget.
      We got all of our supplies from Home Depot.
      Sorry for the delay in response. I have not been checking my blog as often as I should.

      Delete
  4. Great post. Nicely done and maintained garden. I like how you used the posts and trellis along the beds. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love to garden but it's a learning experience. Every year I learn something different that I need to do.

      Delete
  5. Never, ever, ever use Sevin dust--use diatomaceous earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't use Sevin dust anymore. I just panicked at the moment. Now I use an organic spray that really works well. I can't remember the name of it right now, but I found it at Home Depot and I love it.

      Delete
  6. I've even discovered a way to protect my raised bed from too much water.
    Plastic is inexpensive from Lowe's.
    I have 2 X 4's on each corner of my raised bed for strength and hooks for holding my tools--spades, fly swatter, etc.
    I can easily drape a plastic when it starts raining while the stick in the center keeps the runoff going outside.

    Not perfect, but keeps my plants from getting drenched when they don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tomatoes love Epsom salts mixed with powdered milk--50/50 every 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We built a new home in a pocket gopher field. At first I thought they were cute, and fun to watch. Then the critters had great fun tasting / devoring all my plants. I found that plastic does not stop them... They can chew right through it. We have to use the 1/4" metal mesh.

    ReplyDelete