Saturday, August 25, 2012

Homemade Organic Shampoo


I have become deeply interested in becoming less dependent on manufactured chemicals for cleaning my home and washing my clothes. And now I have taken that to a personal level and decided to try making organic shampoo.

First I became interested in using essential oils. And as I researched the many uses for essential oils, I decided I needed to buy some to try. I looked on the internet and found a website that sells pure essential oils at Ananda Apothecary. I ordered Rosemary, Lavender, Sage and Tea Tree essential oils on Friday. They arrived on Monday. That is great service! AND they give free shipping on the first time order. This is the link:  http://www.anandaapothecary.com/. On this website I also found a recipe for a blend of essential oils that would promote healthy and vigorous hair growth.

Then I bought a book at Books A Million entitled "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Worwood.

In the book I found a recipe for soap stew, which the author uses as a base for her shampoo. To the base, I added the carrier and essential oils that were listed on the website. The author also has blends of essential oils listed in her book and they are very similar to the blends I found on the internet. Here are the ingredients to the blend that I decided to try:

1 bar Castile soap
1 quart water
2 ounces Jojoba oil
2 ounces Coconut oil
64 drops Lavender essential oil
64 drops Rosemary Verbenone essential oil
16 drops Sage essential oil

Castile soap is 100% pure.

Jojoba oil is deeply hydrating for dry hair and scalp. Coconut oil is cooling and nutritive to hair and scalp and has a history of being used for hair growth.

The rosemary verbenone essential oil is good for stimulating the scalp and hair. The verbenone chemotype has ketones specific to the regeneration of dermis and follicies. Lavender is good for all types of hair because it has cooling, stress relieving and regenerative properties. Sage can stimulate hair growth and is a highly regarded scalp and hair tonic.



So I grated the Castile soap.

Added the water and let it cook on medium heat until all the soap had melted.

I let the soap stew cool. Then added all of the oils. I placed this in a plastic jar with a lid. And here it is: Homemade Organic Shampoo. The shampoo will turn into a gel overnight. If the oils are on the top, just stir it up before each use.



7 comments:

  1. I think you should update this article in two weeks and then again in a month to let us know how you like the shampoo and if you have seen any improvements to your hair and scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also would like to know how you felt about it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the shampoo. I have very slow growing hair so it's impossible to say if my hair growth is comparative to what others might experience. But I did experience new hair growth and softer hair.

      Delete
  3. What's the shelf life of this mixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the shelf life. I used all of the shampoo and didn't have any problems with it going bad. It lasted approx. 3 months with everyday use.

      Delete
  4. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Thank you so much. Antipodes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent read, Positive site, I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work and also get to know about Revitalising Shampoo

    ReplyDelete