Saturday, July 13, 2013

Spiced Green Tomato Pickles

 

We had so many green tomatoes from our garden, I had to figure out what to do with them. The small ones were little green pear shaped tomatoes, so I decided to find out if they could be canned. I found a recipe for spiced green tomato pickles. This is the website:  http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/t62s12ny/spiced-green-tomato-pickle.html.

Spiced Green Tomato Pickles:
2 gallons green tomatoes, sliced
12 onions, sliced
2 TBSP mustard seed
2 TBSP canning salt
2 TBSP whole peppercorns
1 TBSP whole allspice
1 TBSP whole cloves
1 pint sugar
1 quart white vinegar

Combine spices with vinegar, bring to a rapid boil for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar, stirring until dissolved. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in tomatoes and onions, simmer until nearly tender - about 5 minutes. Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims of jars clean. Put on lids and tighten. Process in boiling water
bath for 10 minutes. 

First I had to wash the tomatoes carefully and inspect them thoroughly.
Then I started sterilizing the jars and lids.

Next Tommy sliced the tomatoes and I sliced the onions. Then I started the pickle process.


















Put the tomato and onion mixture in jars and then in the hot water bath.

















This is the finished product:
They sure look pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment