Monday, July 30, 2012

Fig Preserves

Figs are so delicious. I know that they are not for everyone. But for those of us who love figs, they are a wonderful treat for the short time they are in season. A friend of my husband's told him the fig tree on his property was loaded. So my husband was kind enough to pick a large bucket of figs for me. I knew that I could not eat that many figs before they went bad. So I had to figure out something to do with them. Now I have always loved fig preserves but I have relied on my Mother to make the fig preserves and then share with me. This time I decided I would learn to make fig preserves for myself. I automatically went to my first source of all information: the great world wide web. There I found many, many recipes for fig preserves. I picked out the most simple recipe I could find. They turned out perfectly! I was so pleased. Now I will share the recipe with you.



This is where I found my recipe:  http://www.food.com/recipe/fig-preserves-69138
I made just a few slight changes to it.

Ingredients:
2 lbs figs, unpeeled

3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
Juice from one lemon

Directions:
Wash figs gently in cold water. You can cut up the figs or you can leave them whole.
Make a syrup by boiling the sugar and water together in a large saucepan.
When syrup is clear and just thick, around 15 minutes add figs and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Boil hard 1 minute.
Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat.
You may want to cook down for 10 or 15 more minutes to desired thickness.
Ladle into clean hot sterile jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment