Friday, December 7, 2012

Squash casserole

When I was little, I did not like squash. I thought they were gross. So I never ate squash until I was grown. I don't exactly remember when I started loving squash, but now it is one of my favorite foods.

I originally got this squash recipe from a Southern Living recipe, but I have since lost the magazine that it was in.  I found the exact recipe on the internet at this site:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/squash-casserole-10000000630066/.

It is such a good recipe that I usually make it as part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals and anytime we have a family gathering.  It is easy and doesn't have any strange ingredients.


Recipe from Southern Living

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds yellow squash, sliced $
  • 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided $
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup) $
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten $
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise $
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 20 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)

Preparation

  1. Cook squash in boiling water to cover in a large skillet 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; gently press between paper towels.
  2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, cheese, and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
  3. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir together melted butter and crushed crackers; sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
  4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment