Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Essential Oils - Tea Tree Oil



My supervisor, Mrs. Tammy Meyer, was telling me today that she has found a great little oil that has helped her in numerous ways. She was speaking of tea tree oil. So I told her I would have to research this essential oil and see what information I could find. Once I started looking, I found a great deal of information about all kinds of essential oils.

But to begin with, I focused on tea tree oil. This is what I found. Tea tree oil is good for a variety of ailments, including but not limited to: acne, athlete's foot, candida, chicken pox, cold sores, colds, corns, cuts, flu, insect bites, itching, migraine, oily skin, ringworm, sinusitis, sores, spots,  and warts.

Wow! That is a wide variety of ailments that one little essential oil can help.

I found a list of uses for tea tree oil at this website: http://bodyecology.com/articles/tea_tree_skin_miracle.php

And here is an excerpt from the website:
Dana Young, founder of TRUessence Essential Oils, suggests that you can use tea tree oil in the following ways:
■Directly on your skin in the area affected. For cuts and sores, add 1-2 drops to targeted areas.
■Mixed with a carrier oil. Mix 3 - 5 drops with a carrier oil and apply to skin after a bath or shower.You can make your own Body Ecology friendly carrier oil by using a lightly scented oil like almond oil that is unrefined and organic.
■A household cleaner. Add to water and vinegar for a non-toxic household cleaner.
■Treatment for lice and dandruff. Rinse your hair with warm water and 2 drops of tea tree oil to control lice and dandruff.
■Healing bath. Add 6 drops to your bath water for a soothing soak.
■Diffused. Using an essential oil diffuser, tea tree oil may be diffused into the air, creating a medicinal antiseptic.

As with every product, there are some safety concerns with tea tree oil. I found these listed at: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/TeaTreeOil.htm. Tea Tree Oil should never be taken internally. And one study shows that it might alter hormone levels. So use in moderation and never drink it, ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment