Saturday, September 1, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup





I found a new recipe on pinterest this week and had to try it out today. This is the original link to the recipe: http://jonandjenmiller.blogspot.com/2010/09/crockpot-chicken-tortilla-soup.html

I love this recipe. It is so good. And very easy to make. Just put everything in the crock pot and let it cook. It reminds me of chili with chicken. I made a few changes to the recipe. I only used 1 can of chicken broth. I did not add any water and I used chicken breast with ribs because it was on sale and I do not mind taking chicken off the bone especially if it's cheap chicken.

 Also, I used the packet of taco seasoning. I don't think you could mess this recipe up even if you tried.

Ingredients:
2 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans Ro-Tel
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth (I used 1 can)
1-2 cups of water (I did not add any water)
1 Tbsp garlic powder*
1 Tbsp chile powder*
1 Tbsp ground cumin*
1 Tbsp dried cilantro*
*Instead of these spices, you could include a packet of Taco seasoning if you prefer.*
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

Put all the ingredients except the chicken in the crock pot and stir.

Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they're at least partly submerged in liquid.

Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours. When the chicken is done, remove from pot and shred. Return to pot and stir.

To serve put a few tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, ladle soup over tortilla chips, top with shredded cheddar cheese, aad a dollop of sour cream, serve with more chips if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment